I love weekends, because weekends almost always mean my runs are followed by brunch. Yay brunch! There’s nothing more satisfying than digging into a delicious, hearty meal after a good workout.
But there’s the problem: there’s not a lot of brunch options I can or want to eat.
I find pancakes and waffles too heavy and sweet.
I don’t eat meat.
I almost never eat dairy or eggs.
I love fruit, but even the biggest bowl of fruit salad is not enough sustenance for BRUNCH. Brunch means business.
Which is why I think Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Vegan Brunch is the greatest cookbook ever written. I am not exaggerating. It is all healthy, vegan and delicious, and there’s a good mix of sweet and savory recipes. (I’m also a huge fan of her dessert books as well, but THOSE kinds of recipes don’t belong on a health and fitness blog! Or do they….?)
My go-to brunch recipe is Isa’s tofu scramble. It’s quick, easy and delicious. And, like Sarah Kramer’s chili, the “more the merrier” attitude towards veggies is highly encouraged!
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 package extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- black pepper to taste
Whatever you have lying around. I’m a fan of shredded carrots, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, and onion. Broccoli works too.
1) Mix the spice blend together in a small cup. Set aside.
2) In a large pan, saute the garlic for about a minute.
3) Add the crumbled tofu (the pieces should be bite-size) and saute for about 10 minutes. You can add most veggies at this time, except spinach or carrots.
4) When the tofu is browning on one side, add the spice mix and any relevant veggies. Cook for five more minutes.
5) Serve to many compliments! Or don’t invite anyone over and enjoy it all yourself! I wouldn’t blame you.